The new laws, which were designed to overhaul the residential building industry (following the findings of the Shergold & Weir Building Confidence Report) obligates residential construction designers, builders and engineers, with any array of new responsibilities.
Some important features include :
- Practitioners now owe residential owners (including subsequent owners) a duty of care to avoid economic loss - incredibly, this obligation (which can’t be contracted out of or delegated) applies retrospectively
- Practitioners must maintain records for 10 years
- Practitioners must maintain professional indemnity insurance for all work
- All designs must be lodged on the NSW Planning Portal
- Practitioners must certify that all work meets relevant standards including the Building Code of Australia
- Practitioners must apply and be registered on a public register - Service NSW
Contact us today - 9649 7007
Compliance is mandatory, and breaching the new regime attracts heavy penalties.
We can help you get compliant.